Thursday, July 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Jack Berg & Lydia Heil!!!

One year ago today Jen & Matt welcomed their first little girl into the world. I'll never forget the phone call from Matt that Jen had gone into labor. I always say if there's a woman who was made to go into labor in heels and a nice black maternity dress it would be Jen. And she did! It's been a blessing to be in the same town for the first year of Lydia's life. She is a darling with a BIG personality. Gee- I wonder who she inherited it from??? Could it be her mother or father? Or both???
Two years ago today Cath & Tom welcomed Jack into the world. I remember being sooo happy for Freddy that his brother had come into the world. There's nothing like little boys wrestling, playing and being boyish. I must say Jack is such a handsome kid I joke that I have a crush on him! And his smile...it takes up 75% of his face like his mother's.

2 comments:

Catherine Berg said...

Thanks for the shout out to Jackie boy and Lydia. It is so funny that they share a birthday! What precious little people and such blessing to us all. Love to you and the family!!

teresa anthony said...

Wow, I somehow utterly missed the fact that Jack and Lydia shared a birthday. Don't know how that happened. It's funny how many shared birthdays our little McDonnell clan has. Greg and Kimmie of course share the same day and year. And Carolyn and Cecilia share the same day. Am I forgetting any pairs?

(Quick tangent: it's a quirky fact of my childhood that I was always fascinated and strangely proud of the fact that my niece and nephew (Greg and Kimmie) were born on the same day of the same year half a world apart. I would rattle that fact off at various times when I wanted to impress my fellow youthful listeners, that and my other impressive connection - that my mother had lived next door in her childhood to Rose Wilder Lane, daughter of Laura Ingalls Wilder.)

Back to the subject at hand, I do remember getting the call that Jen was in labor. It was during Scott's "Harry Potter vacation" - the week he took off after the seventh book came out so that we could stay up to ridiculous hours of the morning reading it out loud.

We did do family events that week as well. The day Lydia was born we were at a fun local park that has one of those amazing wooden forts that I wish had been around when I was a kid. I remember calling all the kids around from playing and we all prayed for Jen and the safe arrival of the baby.

And I remember being thrilled for Catherine and Tom the year before as they welcomed Jack into the world. As Carolyn said, having two boys close to each other in age adds a testosterone filled dynamic that, while mostly bringing great joy, does have the added benefit of wiping off a few years of my purgatorial sentence!

Well Happy Birthday one day late to both Jack and Lydia!