Saturday, July 26, 2008

Childhood Bragging

Teresa brought up a wonderfully fun topic in her comment on a post below- bragging as a child. So I thought I'd open this up for all of us to spill out what we bragged about as a kid.
So first I'll speak for Luis. Actually Luis carried his bragging habit into adulthood. In the process of getting to know him, one of the things he bragged about was that his father was the food scientist that INVENTED Honey Nut Cheerios. Yes, he said "invented." Well, Honey Nut Cheerios happened to be my very favorite type of cereal growing up. So this was actually a mysteriously attractive quality that intrigued me about my prospective boyfriend.
After we had dated for awhile and I flew out to MN to meet the fam, I was fairly excited to confirm this wonderful truth with Mr. George Brown. Well, Mr. Brown set everything straight for me explaining that he had indeed helped in the process of getting Honey Nut Cheerios out safely in the grocery aisle but he had NOT been the original "inventor."
At this point I had found enough other attractive qualities about Luis to stay with him so there really was little harm done. Thankfully.
How's this for a provocative way to get mt husband to acknowledge my blog?
Luis- I invite you to defend your memory and your story.
Everyone else, I'd love to hear about what you all bragged about...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

OK, it worked, mess with a man's ego, and he will post.

I actually enjoy writing immensely, a massage of the brain as one dwells on some things while expressing others.

Yes, the Honey Nut Cheerios story, I simply wanted to point out that I said my father "helped invent" Honey Nut Cheerios. He was the head of corporate research for General Mills for a few years, so a young man's mind can travel fantastic distance with such accolades.

OK, so I did not quite get the story straight. But, one has to do what one can to keep up with the Malvern pride.

Tata Tata for now.

LB

Unknown said...

Glad to hear from you Louis!!!!!!!!!

Catherine Berg said...

That is such a funny story. I remember hearing about your father's invention while you guys were dating. Glad to hear the true story!! Love hearing from you too, Luis. Your godbaby is crying so I gotta run.

teresa anthony said...

Great post Cal, and Luis, delighted to hear from you. Scott cracked up at the line about keeping up "with the Malvern pride."

Ok Carolyn - the ball's in your court. What strange things did you brag about as a kid?

our little brown life said...

Oh- I was a big bragger. I remember bragging about the fact that my parents met during the sign of peace. (Somehow I thought this was so incredibly amazing. And it was during the 7o's so the sign of peace may have gone as long as about 45 minutes. So they may as well consider that their first date too. Sorry Mom- just poking a little fun at your charismatic roots!). And I also bragged that my Mom gave birth naturally 5 times- Little did I know as a kid that this is not some kind of badge you wear on your sleeve and and it's not the most socially tactful thing to bring up!
Let's see. I probably found all kinds of things to brag about- oh yes- we were all convinced that Franklin Pierce the 14th President of the US was our great uncle or something like that. To this day Gram will still verify that one. That's all I can think of for now. I'm still waiting for my sisters to answer this one!

teresa anthony said...

Thanks for sharing, Cal.

I love the bit about bragging your mom giving birth naturally 5 times.

Oh my gosh, the things my children have said to neighbors/grocery store cashiers/strangers on the street - that are just, you know, not completely appropriate things to share with non-family members - it kills me. As I frequently say, "it's all good for humility."

And you Pierce's BETTER be related to our former president, because I've used that one to impress too, even with my own kids! :)