Monday, August 25, 2008

Visit with Gram




Surprisingly Gram seems to be sort of fine. She's on antibiotics and doesn't show signs of passing at any moment. In fact, we had quite a good visit with her on Saturday as we pulled up to the hospital in Greensboro. She was her usual self and looked so cute in the hospital bed. I was expecting much worse given her age and the fact that pneumonia can be so severe. The kids really enjoyed the hospital "adventure." She loved Monica especially and kept on commenting on the fact that she may have red hair (this was repeated over and over!) even though Monnie is a solid brunette. The thing that hasn't changed about Gram is that once she gets something in her head, it DOESN'T leave. Of course she called me "Jenny" more than once but that's par for the course with dimensia (spelling correct on that one?). She's the same old gal and I love her to death. Some highlights included the boys romping around on the hospital couch in her room...Monica learning how to play catch with her with a small rubber football. (Who would have thunk it? A 96 yr old woman and a 1 yr old playing catch???).
Then of course we enjoyed seeing all the relatives in NC on Sunday for a brunch at the Messick's. I have more to post on that later.
For now, I'll share some pics from the hospital room on Saturday.
To put it bluntly, I thought it was going to be an emotional "saying goodbye to Gram" visit and it turned out to be a party type get together!!!

4 comments:

teresa anthony said...

That's awesome, Carolyn. Your grandmother is an amazing woman - love the hospital pics.

Teresa

Lorrie and Fred said...

Thanks Carolyn for this update. The third picture with the big smiles on Grandma's face as well as the childrens' says it all. Could there be any better healing tonic than smiling children? Love always, Mom

John Pierce said...

Hey Cal, I had fun visiting with your family this weekend!
Also, I must say that the pasta and chicken that you gave me from the other night came in very handy here in Regan.
Needless to say, I guzzled it : )

The Schultz Family said...

Ah, I love seeing Betty. What a pistol she is!

Love ya,

Cathy