Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Oh what a day

So we're in the midst of potty training Gabe. My method includes letting them go pantless for a few days and not leaving the house until the habit has been set. It's painful but quick with lasting results. (Read- I don't want to be changing his diapers on the beach next week!). Se he's running around pantless with his favorite little sweater on.
So of course on a day like this a Jehovah's Witness decides to knock confidently on my door. His first glimpse of our home was of a half naked toddler screaming because he wanted to open the door and his frazzled mother just knew it was not Daddy on the other side. He then glimpses a mother (me) in the heat of battle with a willful child. He then proceeds to try to let himself in. During the moment I decided to cut to he chase:
As he hands me a book:
Me: Um, what religion are you? (frustrated children screaming in the background and battling for the door)
JW: Jehovah's Witness (with a kind smile)
Me: Well I'm Catholic Christian. Please just look into the Catholic Church. It's the truth. (toddlers still screaming).
JW politely but swiftly exits. It may have been the fastest exit of any JW from an Old Town doorstep.
Oh Boy, that poor man didn't know what he was getting into when he knocked on my door. How do you explain to someone desperately trying to convert you that you're not interested but you appreciate the zeal? That frankly right now I'm living my faith in God and my Church through attempting to be a good woman, wife and mother? That I'd love to have a cup of tea and talk philosophy and theology with the guy but right now I'm potty training an almost 3 year old? That I do struggle with phases of doubts, despair and depression but every day I make a leap of faith and strive for hope that I'm on the right track? That the only true peace I've had in my life has come from overcoming stupid feelings and opinions and being open to conversion on a daily basis. That I don't believe I'm saved any more than he is because I'm not God but he should really just try a visit to the Church across the street if he's seeking more. He may just find Someone there.
Oh well. Poor guy. I think we just startled him...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is: True beauty shining through, Cal. Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing with us. Minus the half-naked red-head, I'm right there struggling with you. :)

teresa anthony said...

Scott and I laughed - this is it, where the rubber meets the road, the awesome gritty stuff of holiness.

If it makes you feel better, the half naked toddler for several days is precisely how I've always potty trained, too. Except somehow it went awry with Rose. She potty trained beautifully in a day or two, but then after a few days when I introduced underwear, it completely flummoxed her and she proceeded to have accident after accident. So I simply removed the underwear and figured I'd wait a few more days.

The long story made short - we went through this for months. She had no problems whatsoever with the potty - if she was naked. My neighbors all got used to my "she's potty training" explanations every time she inadvertantly ran out the front door and flashed the neighborhood.

Even now, 9 months later, she's still a nudist at heart, but has finally managed to conform somewhat to social conventions.

Catherine Berg said...

Hi Cal,
I m just giving you a little love via blog. We are so excited to see you guys tommorrow!! Cant even wait. We love you. Freddy is hoping to more sleepovers with John Paul adn Gabe. How is Gabe doing with the potty trainging?? We cant wait to celebrate his birthday too.
Talk to you .
Cath

Lorrie and Fred said...

Thanks for sharing some of the misadventures of motherhood! You'll never have to say a prayer for more humility as a mother! Love, Mom and Dad