Tuesday, December 9, 2008

December in Old Town





We are very resolved to spend the rest of our lives in Old Town Alexandria, VA. We probably won't be a suburban or country family. We're okay with this. (Well, Luis is relieved that I'm finally okay with this and am no longer blaming my motherly problems on that fact that I can't let my kids run out freely in a beautiful safe meadow for hours on end).
Anyhow, part of our family culture here includes parades. Several times a year some impressive parades walk the blocks surrounding our house. It is thrilling. The December parade is the Scottish walk. The boys literally shake with excitement as we set up our chairs and stroller and bundle up for the event. Luis and I always prepare ourselves an extra sweet mocha cappuccino (does that not reveal how "cityish" we've become or what?!).
We love this part of American culture.
What you cannot see in one of the pictures is that there was a party going on in the town home. The guests at the party were viewing the parade from the many floors and windows- so cool!
The kids especially love that every so often one of the parade characters throws candy in their direction. We get to cheer on different military branches walking in uniform and enjoy the solemn sound of bagpipes.
Gabe is really in love with bagpipes. But somehow I don't think that instrument will find it's way into our home.
Well, maybe if we do move to the country some day we will construct a wonderful sound proof room...

4 comments:

Catherine Berg said...

Oh my goodenss, Cal! The pictures of the kids in the manger is too much!! I love it! That will be a real treasure when they get older.
As you said on my blog, the grass is always greener, well, I would do anything to have an amazing parade outside my front door. That is pretty incredible. We are really excited to see you guys so soon. LOve you

John Pierce said...

ahh, glad to hear you're loving city life!
hope you stay there!

Mary Kate said...

Those parades are so cool! Thanks for the updates!

Unknown said...

We are coming up in the early spring!