Sunday, January 4, 2009

6 years






Today Luis and I celebrate six years of marriage. I love this blogging thing because it forced me to look through our Wedding picture files. Truth be told, we didn't get very many good shots of the Mass. Our priest Fr. Morrow asked for no flash photography and everyone respected the request. I was disappointed at first but in retrospect, I like this reality. The Mass is embedded in my memory as the most joyful and beautiful Mass of my life. I remember the whole day with a bittersweet fondness because it was truly a unique moment in time representing an era that has passed.
Dad was perfectly healthy. I love the shot of Gram looking over his shoulder as he tied his shoe.
And I love the classic shot of Mom and Dad kissing my cheek. I even love the detail of Dad's obvious hearing aid. That side of his face now bears much different and much deeper marks of a life well lived and well fought for.
I love the shot with Fr. Morrow and his goofy smile- a man who to this day acts as as my spiritual father.
I love the shot of the St. Pat's window above the altar shedding light in the afternoon sun.
Most of all, I love the shot of us outside the church when my veil flew up in the harsh January wind. It was a priceless, unplanned moment of grace.
And the past 6 years have been just that- filled with priceless, unexpected craziness and beauty.
Love ya Luis!

5 comments:

Catherine Berg said...

Happy Anniversary!! I hope you guys had a beautiful day today. Hard to believe that it has already been 6 years. Great to see you guys at 4 line. Even though it was crazy, it was a wonderful time. We love you!!

Lorrie and Fred said...

Your recollections are powerful and so beautifully expressed. Thank you Carolyn and Luis for your well lived vocation of marriage! Love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Beautiful Cal...brought tears to my eyes. So wonderful to have those beautiful memories and pictures as we live in our new era!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful and bittersweet. Thanks for posting! The one of your veil is hysterical!!!

The Schultz Family said...

Happy Anniversary guys! And I promise to be much better at responding on blogs in 2009!

Love, Cathy